打印

[西兹克]林语堂著《生活的艺术》简评

[西兹克]林语堂著《生活的艺术》简评

林语堂著《生活的艺术》简评

马克·西兹克 著

吴万伟 译

学术中华 2009-02-18

马克·西兹克发现了如何做个云游四方的流浪者。

1985年春天我读本科的时候,一个大家喜欢的文学教授在送给我一本1937年版精装本《生活的艺术》。我在那年夏天读了这本书,第二年春天就到中国留学了,还在中国北部旅游,登上了道教名山华山和泰山,参观了孔子的坟墓和孔府,深入思考了书的内容。本书以随笔的形式简要讲述了一些人生教训。这种高雅的有教养的入世方式要是在20年前的文革中肯定是被狂风暴雨般彻底扫荡的东西。不过,在肆意破坏的佛教寺庙中,在北京后街那些蜷缩在钢筋混凝土的中高层公寓住宅区阴影下的陋巷和曲曲弯弯的胡同里,在共产党大肆宣扬公民必须狠抓生产提高效率的高潮中,在现代化和工业化的大踏步前进中,我从这一切中大概看到了过去发生的事情。在孔府大院外部的曲阜市,一个老先生要我和同伴回去跟着他学习书法。在泰山顶上,大石头下面的灌木丛和缝隙中长出来的树枝是证据证明几百年来的民间信念,(因为计划生育政策)即将没有兄弟姐妹的社会肯定会好运当头和更高的生育率。在华山高处的道观里,穿着长袍的道士履行日常的义务,其中有些人在过去三十多年里就没有下过山,根本就不知道下面发生的革命。林语堂和他的《生活的艺术》属于这个时代之前的事情。相关性依然存在。

人应该如何度过自己的人生呢?这当然是个永恒的哲学问题。我该如何生活?20年后,我为什么要重新阅读这本书呢?一个体重增加了40磅的人、一个丈夫、一个离婚又再婚的父亲和继父、一个需要为事业拼搏忙碌的专业人士、一个需要处理单调的、有时候折磨灵魂的日常琐事,还需要维持房子、汽车、草坪和退休投资等,同时还要参加家长老师联谊会、社区组织活动,几乎没有时间做任何别的事情的人还需要重新读这本书吗?

一点不错。

林语堂的理想是作个快乐的“流浪者”,悠闲地学习、恋爱、生活,舒舒服服地度过一生。他脾气好,像文艺复兴时期的人那样多才多艺,兴趣广泛。他不是任何一个方面的行家,而是才华横溢的通才。他是讲究实际、关注自身生理需要和感受的人。(对于林来说,幸福“很大程度上是消化问题”。他以充满赞许的口气引用了大学校长告诫大学新生的话“我想让你们记住的只有两件事情:阅读圣经和保持大便畅通。”)林是云游四方的流浪者,是思想非常细腻和深刻的人,但不是感情冷漠、不善社交的智者。而且最重要的是,他一再强调“合乎情理”的重要性,他指出这个特征是中国人性格的根本所在。

书中很多东西既让人着迷又不合时宜。林是他那个时代(1895-1976)和地方的产物。他赞美抽烟,指出这个特别的恶习具有的幽静和调解的功能。他的女性观点具有居高临下的性别主义偏见,虽然他的意图明显是欣赏和尊重女性的。他注意到躺在床上具有的“清净心灵的功效”,他指出这是人生中最惬意的事情之一。这种快乐是我们这些一大早从床上爬起来匆匆忙忙去上班的人所享受不到的。

最后,我们从书中发现的是作者对生活充满洞察力的见解的大杂烩,是随笔性的杂文集,涉及到的内容既有关于人生幸福和人生意义的宏大哲学命题,也有个人癖好方面的问题:

论肚子

论强壮的肌肉

论近乎戏弄的好奇心:人类文明的兴起

论梦想

论难以捉摸和无可估量

人类是唯一在工作的动物

人间天堂

幸运是什么?

独身:文明的变态

论性的吸引力

论躺在床上

论坐在椅中

论吸烟和烧香

论西装

住宅与庭园

论树与石

论游览

论学问与知趣

我为什么是异端?

《生活的艺术》应该和埃皮克提图(Epictetus)的《选集》(The Enchiridion)、马可·奥勒留(Marcus Aurelius)的《沉思录》(The Meditations)、梭罗的《瓦尔登湖》、爱默生的随笔、巴尔塔莎·格拉西安(Baltasar Gracian)的《智慧书》等在同一个书架上,这并非因为它在很大程度上(除了《瓦尔登湖》外)和任何一本书有相似之处,而是因为它和其他伟大经典著作一样用非系统性的方式阐释生活的本质和生活方式。

我那位敬爱的文学教授几年前就因为高龄去世了,我常常想念他。最近又得知把我引进中国哲学道路上的另一位同样值得尊敬的哲学教授去年也过世了,可他只有54岁呀。我就想到这两个教授的重要的和有意义的生活,也想到中国和我自己的余生。我想到林语堂和他过的生活:就像我的教授一样学习、恋爱和生活。

让人觉得好玩的是,耽于幻想和重新阅读从前喜欢的书还能激发从前的热情、活力和激情。突然之间,我感到二十年的重压消失了,不再觉得人到中年和老气横秋。我感受到了别的东西:仿佛自己还是那个到海外留学的大学毕业生,安静地站在中国的泰山顶上俯瞰脚下的彩云。

谨以此文纪念杰西·弗莱明教授(Jesse Fleming,1953-2007)

“玄之又玄,众妙之门。”

《道德经》第1章

译者注:

本文评论的书:Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living, Harper Paperbacks, 1998, 462 pps .95. ISBN: 0688163521

【译自:“The Importance of Living by Lin Yutang” by Mark Cyzyk

http://www.philosophynow.org/issue71/71cyzyk.htm

The Importance of Living by Lin Yutang

Mark Cyzyk finds out how to be a loafing scamp.

A beloved literature professor gave me a nice hardbound 1937 edition of this book during my undergraduate days in the spring of 1985. I read it that summer. The following spring I found myself studying in China, traveling around the north, climbing the Taoist holy mountains Hua Shan and Tai Shan, visiting the tomb and family mansions of Confucius, and thinking quite a bit about this book. Here, in essay form, were simple lessons for living. Here was a genteel, mandarin manner of approaching the world – one that surely was swept away in the violent storms of the Cultural Revolution twenty years earlier? And yet, amid the vandalized Buddhist temples, the crumbling hutongs of back Beijing alleyways, and the concrete midrise apartment complexes in whose shadow they cowered – amid prominent Party proclamations that citizens must strive for more production and efficiency, amid the surge for modernization and industrialization – amid all of this, I captured glimpses of what came before. In Chufu, outside the K’ung family compound, an old scholar pleaded with my companion and I to return and study calligraphy under his tutelage. Atop Tai Shan, small shrubs with large rocks crammed into their branches and crannies were evidence of a centuries-long folk belief that good luck and enhanced fertility for this soon-to-be-siblingless society would surely follow. High in the monasteries of Hua Shan, robed Taoist monks performed their quotidian duties, some of them not having bothered to descend into the valley for thirty years or more, ignoring the Revolution below. Lin Yutang and his The Importance of Living belong to this time before. And the relevance persists.

How should one live one’s life? Surely a perennial philosophical concern. How should I live my life? And why would I now reread this book, twenty years later, forty pounds heavier – a husband, a divorced and remarried father and stepfather, a busy professional with a career to attend to, a monotonous and sometimes soul-crushing daily and weekly schedule, a house, cars, lawn, retirement investments to maintain, PTA meetings, community association functions, and no time for much of anything?

Precisely.

Lin Yutang’s ideal is the ‘scamp’ – an amiable loafer who wanders through life, learning, loving, living. He is a good-natured Renaissance Man, dabbling here and there, connoisseur of nothing, dilettante extraordinaire. He is earthbound, a man of his biology and of his senses. (For Lin, happiness is “largely a matter of digestion.” He favorably quotes a college president who admonished his freshmen that “There are only two things I want you to keep in mind: read the Bible, and keep your bowels open.”) Lin’s loafing scamp is a profoundly embodied mind, not a brain on a stick. And most of all, he’s eminently ‘reasonable’ – a trait Lin mentions throughout, and points to as the very foundation of the Chinese character.

So much in this book is charmingly anachronistic. Lin is a product of his time (1895-1976) and place. His eulogies on the smoking life point to the quiet, meditative nature of this particular vice. His views on women are condescending and sexist, although his obvious intent is always to be appreciative and respectful. He notes the ‘mental house-cleaning’ that occurs while simply lying in bed, and points to this as being one of life’s greatest pleasures: a pleasure lost to those of us who must leap out of bed to keep to our daily schedules.

In the end, what we find here is an insightful mélange of life observations – an essayistic miscellany which addresses the grand philosophical topics of human happiness and the meaning of life, but also such idiosyncratic issues as:

On Having a Stomach
On Having Strong Muscles
On Playful Curiosity: The Rise of Human Civilization
On Dreams
On Being Wayward and Incalculable
Man the Only Working Animal
This Earth the Only Heaven
What is Luck?
Celibacy a Freak of Civilization
On Sex Appeal
On Lying in Bed
On Sitting in Chairs
On Smoke and Incense
The Inhumanity of Western Dress
On House and Interiors
On Rocks and Trees
On Going About and Seeing Things
Good Taste in Knowledge
Why I Am a Pagan

The Importance of Living belongs on the same shelf as The Enchiridion of Epictetus, The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, Thoreau’s Walden, the essays of Emerson and the aphorisms of Baltasar Gracian, not because it agrees with any one of them to a great degree (with the exception of Walden), but because, in the same non-systematic way as these other great classics, it illustrates a life, and how to live one.

My beloved literature professor died several years ago, at a venerable age. I think of him often. I recently learned that an equally-beloved philosophy professor, who introduced me to Chinese philosophy, died last year. He was only 54. I think of the significant and important lives they both led. I think of China and my time there. I think of Lin Yutang and the life he led; learning, loving, living, just like my professors.

It’s funny how mere reverie and rereading a cherished book can revive enthusiasm, exuberance, zest. Suddenly, the weight of twenty years lifts. I don’t feel so middle-aged and graying anymore. I feel something else: like a college senior studying abroad, silently standing atop a holy mountain in China, looking down on the clouds.

© Mark Cyzyk 2009

Mark Cyzyk is the Scholarly Communication Architect in The Sheridan Libraries at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland.

In fond memory of Professor Jesse Fleming (1953-2007).

“Darkness within darkness.
The gateway to all understanding.”

Tao Te Ching, 1

• Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living, Harper Paperbacks, 1998, 462 pps $16.95. ISBN: 0688163521