打印

【南桥】译者的自由

【南桥】译者的自由

(转自南桥的博客 http://berlinfang.blog.163.com/b ... 071620110803337484/

几天前,在微博上看到一个很有趣的争论:网名“哈欠猫老虎”的麦克尤恩译者在微博上称:”发现编辑改掉了我的一些用词,比如84页倒数第六行,她潺湲地变换着姿态,该成了“徐缓”,真不舒服,意思也不对了。类似还有几处,下次我要跟编辑说,没有硬伤请不要改掉我的用词。如果重印请改回来。 “

结果这个发言引起了译者、编者和出版人的一段关于编辑自由度的争论。译者不同意编辑改动,编辑为这种改动辩护,旁观者也参与进来,讨论这种改动的得失。作为一个旁观者和译者,我也思考起编辑修改的尺度问题来了。

对于这个问题我觉得不能一概而论。以前我的翻译甚至作者的译名,都被编辑改错过,结果如果有人追问起来,总不好意思把编辑出卖,所以主要还是译者背黑锅。但是也有很多情况下,编辑是替我们把关,给我们少一些错误的机会。这些情况之下,我很感谢编辑给我所作的一些修正,把我的错误(尤其是写作当中,打字重音打错的) 扼杀在摇篮之中。另外有时候,编辑和译者之间,对于遣词造句,存在风格选择上的分歧。有时候译者的得意之笔,编辑或许担忧冷僻或拗口,恐怕读者不容易接受。这是风格理解上的差异,很是正常。另外还有一种可能,是译者的某些表述,其实已经做过了调查研究,而编辑并不知道,想当然以为是译者的错误。既然情形不一,最重要的一点,还是各方达成理解,不要动辄上纲上线。

在程序上,如果双方的改动对方都可以看见,会减少很多误会的产生。Google Docs, Dropbop这些文件共享空间的存在,就是为了解决这些文本修改中差异问题。可惜由于防火墙的存在,很多共享实现不了。另外,书的清样和原稿,用的又是不同的文件甚至不同的文字处理程序,一直没有一个平台可供沟通。建议出版方引进能进行文档版本管理的软件,这会解决很多不必要的误会,解决版本管理的一些难题。我以前给FT中文网翻译的时候,用过Aceproject,发觉挺有用的。

由编辑的自由度,我也想到了译者的自由度问题。如果说编辑修改译稿能引起争议,那么译者能否修改作者文字呢?我反对译者的胡乱删除、修改,哪怕是为了对付审 查,这个问题我以前评论过,那文章由于被人视作不和谐,被删了。可是在翻译《歌犬》的最后阶段,我遇到了一个有趣的现象。

假如作者叫你去改怎么办?

这个问题我第一次翻译的时候就遇到过。那是和我导师一起翻译《赛珍珠文化传记》的时候。作者彼得·康把书的打印稿交给了刘海平老师,让他帮着看,不妥当的地方他甚至要求刘老师帮他去改,赛珍珠在中国的状况,中国的历史背景,刘老师有时候比彼得·康更清楚。当然彼得·康教授毕竟做了非常扎实的研究,错误很少,所以刘老师很少去改,不过我们知道他有这个自由度。因为他不仅是一个译者,也是赛珍珠研究的专家。

我在校订《歌犬》翻译的时候,有些句子我无法理解,就写信问科伦·麦凯恩。他给我一一作答,但又说都快20年了。时至今日,他几乎可以作为一个读者再看这本书了,所以我所质疑的句子,他自己都看出了问题。比如有一个地方,我的译文是:”阴茎的表达清晰准确,简直是从枪管自然延伸,直到阴茎下面那荒唐的斑点上 。“句子写得很是拗口,比喻也很古怪,所以我都怀疑是不是我理解错了。结果我发现不是我理解错了,而是他自己承认他这地方写得不太好。他于是说:这地方你能不能给改掉,删掉,甚至你自己去改写?但他毕竟是一个作家,不是译者,不知道我们这一行有什么规矩,所以又谨慎地问:这个做法行不行啊?

我想这怎么不行?我们译者就好比搬运工,你是家具的主人,主人说这条三只腿的凳子我不要了,扔掉了。我们文字搬运工总不能说,不行,我就要给你搬过去,那不叫”忠实“,那叫有病。

所以我后来给改成:一个个阳具刚劲有力,如若枪管。

这样的沟通我得写在这里,以免读者以后看了,误以为是我漏译。

还有一个地方,原文是:… she gave him her favorite set of rosary beads, a black pair that he was embarrassed by …” 天主教的念珠一般是一串一串的,这里说”a pair of",很是费解。问麦凯恩后,他说爱尔兰人说念珠,虽然是一串,有时候仍说a pair of,虽然这在语法上有些不通。既然如此,我只好照着译过来,并非刻意要制造某种错误。

作家活着就好办,好多这样的问题,还可来回沟通,我翻译这本书前后记下来的问题都有十几页纸,好在都可以核实。要是作家死了,或是架子太大,不给你答复,那就没辙,只好自己设法理解了。信实与否,要看译者自己的造化了。

Berlin Fang (南桥)'s career of translation (转自南桥博客)

[Reprinted] Staff member translates books into Chinese
(Source: This article was originally published in the Talon on November 19, 2010, by Morgan Edwards)

While some staff members at Oklahoma Christian University have hobbies such as reading or traveling, Berlin Fangassociate director of the North Institute, translates books from English to Chinese in his spare time.
Fang began translating books as a graduate student.

“My professor got me into a project translating a biography,” Fang said. “Then I started getting assignments from publishing houses.”

Junior Jing Xuan Zhao, an international student from China, said he thinks translating English to Chinese would be a difficult task.

“I believe the grammar part of translating would be most difficult,” Zhao said. “I have taken English since I was seven years old, and still I cannot imagine how hard the translations would be. English is very difficult as a second language.”

According to Fang, translating novels from English to Chinese is a time-consuming practice many are not willing to undertake.

“It is not just light reading when you translate,” Fang said. “It is every word and every context. On top of that, it is also a problem-solving process.”
While Fang translates books as a hobby, he also does a form of translating as the director of the North Institute.

“I do something actually very similar to translation,” Fang said. “I help the professors in technology and help transfer something physical that is needed [to] an online setting.”

Both his job and his hobby require Fang to solve a puzzle so others can understand it as well.

“I try to find a dynamic equivalent,” Fang said. “I try to make it make sense online. You have to tear physical context apart and put them in a certain new sequence to make sense online.”

Even though Fang translates in some sort on a daily basis, it becomes difficult to maintain such a high level while also staying involved with his family.

“I have a wife and two kids; my wife is very supportive,” Fang said. “However, having a family, I cannot translate as much as full-time translators do. It is very minimal work because I want to have time I can spend with my family.”

Translating books from English to Chinese is anything but simple, but according to Fang, the challenge is what brings him joy. Fang said one of the advantages of translating is learning from books he reads.

“The novel ‘That Old Ace in the Hole’ by Anne Proulx, brings me so close to the Oklahoma and Texas area,” Fang said.  “It felt like I was traveling there while I was translating.”

Translating also gives Fang the ability to retain his native language.

“Most people who are Chinese that come to the U.S., their Chinese drops, but mine has actually improved,” Fang said. “I turned into a better writer because of that.”

Fang has been fluent in English for eight years and has translated 12 books into Chinese.

According to Fang, translating books has led to his improved writing abilities as well.

He is currently writing a book of his own in Chinese. He said he will name the book “Chopsticks and Forks,” and a Chinese company will publish the book in May.

“I live and write in this country, but I sense China,” Fang said. “I constantly make comparisons of China and the U.S. while I am living in this country. I do the same in my translation.”

Fang visited Oklahoma Christian’s creative writing class last spring to talk with students about literature from the perspective of a literature translator.

“Sometimes when authors write, you don’t see the small details,” Fang said. “When translating you see all the things the writer might have missed because you have to look at every word.”

Fang and his unique talent impressed the creative writing students.

“It was fascinating that Mr. Fang was able to read and understand two languages enough to correctly translate these famous works for others to read,” senior Mica Starnes said.

Starnes also mentioned how difficult it might become to stay objective while translating.

“I think keeping the story close to what the author originally wrote would be difficult,” Starnes said. “To keep the beauty of the work consistent in both languages is seemingly impossible.”

While translating books, Fang finds errors and needs to know if he can fix them. When this issue comes up, he contacts the authors of the books.

“The authors are usually very helpful and contact me relatively quickly, but some authors are too famous and are unable to answer my questions,” Fang said.

According to Starnes, Fang gave good advice to the class of future writers when he visited.

“One thing I learned is to appreciate translators and word choice for authors,” Starnes said.

While the difficulties of translation keep some people away from the job, Fang’s drive comes from his love of literature.

“I like good books, and my favorite place to go is to the bookstore,” Fang said. “I just love reading, and that is really what keeps me going. It is my passion.”

According to Fang, he plans to continue translating novels from English to Chinese for people in China to experience good English literature.

As a result, Fang has translated books such as “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” by Betty Smith, “All Souls’ Day” by Cees Nootboom, “Bend of the River” by V.S. Naipaul, which have proven popular in China.

[ 本帖最后由 玉兰 于 2011-1-13 15:34 编辑 ]